Tuesday, March 22, 2011
So lately I have been on a cupcake kick. A BIG cupcake kick. I have been sampling recipes I have found in the interwebs and from cookbooks. And let me tell you that I have been very popular with my co-workers, family and neighbors as they have been helping me by "sampling" what I have been making.
I found this recipe over at my favorite baking site, My Baking Addiction. They are incredibly easy to make and when presented they have a definite "WOW" factor! Everyone loved these cupcakes with a few people claiming that they were the best cupcakes that they have ever eaten.
The cupcakes are made with a cake mix, but are doctored up to be incredibly moist and dense. The surprise that you will find is the Snickers candy bar baked inside...making this cupcake a candy bar lover's dream! They are then topped off with homemade caramel buttercream frosting and garnished with more caramel and Snickers. YUMMY!
They are definitely a keeper and are something that I will pull out whenever I need to impress some guests...I hope that you enjoy them!
Inspired by My Baking Addiction
Makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
1 package devil’s food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs; lightly beaten
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon of vanilla
24-30 frozen Snickers Miniatures (must be frozen!)
Instructions for cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line (2) 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners.
3. In stand mixer, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs, vanilla and water.
4. Evenly divide the batter amongst the prepared pans.
5. Gently push a frozen Snickers Miniature bar into the center of the batter and smooth the surface making sure to cover the candy bar with batter.
6. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool cupcakes thoroughly on wire rack.
Ingredients for the buttercream frosting:
3 sticks butter; room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup caramel topping; plus more for drizzling
12 Snickers Miniatures, cut in 1/2 diagonally to garnish
Instructions for the frosting:
1. Cream the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the vanilla extract and caramel syrup and combine well.
2. Add the sugar in slowly, thoroughly mixing after each addition. For thicker frosting you can gradually add in a little more sugar.
3. Frost your cupcakes. I used a Wilton 1M star tip for my cupcakes.
3. Garnish with Snickers bars and a drizzle of caramel of caramel syrup. Make sure that you add your Snickers bars to the frosting shortly after applying it or they will not stick in the frosting well.
(Cupcakes will last for 2 days in a well secured container. Any longer and they will start to get stale.)
I'm linking up this week to: Fireflies & Jelly Beans, It's a Keeper, This Week's Cravings, Prairie Story, Somewhat Simple,Tip Junkie, Cupcake Tuesday, Someday Crafts, Sweet Tooth Friday, I'm Lovin' It, Food on Fridays,Simply Sweet Home, Fingerprints on the Fridge, WhipperBerry, It's a Hodgepodge Life, My Romantic Home