Friday, March 16, 2012
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
My husband's favorite cookie is a Snickerdoodle. But I never make them for him because I always forget to buy cream of tartar and keep it stocked in my pantry.
BUT then I came across a recipe in an old cookbook. Yep, that same old wonderful (and VERY used) cookbook that my grandmother gave me before she passed away. Buried within the pages of the cookbook was yet another one of her wonderful handwritten recipe cards...a recipe card with an easy, delicious recipe for snickerdoodles. And the recipe did NOT call for cream of tartar. So I was intrigued...could it still taste like a snickerdoodle with that ingredient?
Yep...it still tasted as wonderful as snickerdoodles do...even without the cream of tartar! AND because I had all of the ingredients in my trusty old panty my husband got to eat his very favorite cookie that same day that I found the recipe! I hope that you enjoy these cookies as much as he did!! (And me...I can't hide the fact that I LOVED these too!)
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combined. (Approximately 2 minutes.)
3. In separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
4. Slowly combine together wet & dry ingredients. Mix until dough comes together.
5. Add in 1 tablespoon of milk. (If you find that the dough is a bit crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together.)
6. Refrigerate dough for 20-30 minutes.
7. While dough is in refrigerator, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
8. Remove dough from fridge and roll into big 1 1/2 inch balls.
9. Dip in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on baking sheet. Lightly press down on dough to flatten it. 10. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.