PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, August 23, 2010

Banana Bread and a Special Cookbook


This past weekend I was going through my cookbooks looking for some inspiration for some future meal planning and as I was flipping through my most special cookbook I found a handwritten recipe for banana bread. The cookbook that I am talking about is my grandma’s 1960’s era red and white Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It is my favorite item that I have ever gotten from her and just looking at it brings back amazing memories of her.

Just before I moved to Arizona back in 2003 she called me and asked me to come over because she had something special for me…never would I have thought that she would be giving me her favorite and most used cookbook, but that is exactly what she did. While it might not be anything to look at, this book is an amazing treasure for me and each time I go through it I am reminded of her and all of the time that I spent learning to bake in her kitchen, getting my own special mini pies, licking the beaters from her mixer, helping her to measure and getting to taste all of the wonderful goodies that she baked up. I lost her on my birthday last year and it was one of the hardest things that I have ever been through…she was an amazing woman and she helped to shape what I am today!

On Sunday I decided to make the recipe for banana bread that I found in her cookbook and I had my own special little one to help me out just like I used to help my grandma in her kitchen. This recipe is the most moist and delicious banana bread that I have ever had and I am so glad that I was able to find it, handwritten on a note card, for me to make for my own family! I hope that you enjoy it!


Mabel’s Best Banana Bread

  • 2 whole Ripe Bananas
  • 1-¾ cup White Sugar
  • ½ cups Butter (1 Stick), Melted
  • 3 whole Eggs
  • 1-½ cup Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 dash Salt
  • 3 Tablespoons Sour Cream, Heaping
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  •  ½ cups Walnuts, Chopped (optional)

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease & lightly flour 2 loaf pans.
3. Cream bananas, sugar & melted butter together.
4. Add eggs, one at a time.
5. Add dry ingredients slowly & mix.
6. Add sour cream, vanilla and nuts.
7. Pour mixture evenly between 2 loaf pans.
8. Bake at 325 for 55 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments and read every one I get. Thank you for taking the time to write one!

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola