PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, April 22, 2011

Tomato Pie with Pancetta & Basil

Last night I made my normally "Meat & Potato" kinda husband go out on a limb and try something new. Something not in his comfort zone (but totally in mine!) and try something a little different for him...Tomato Pie!

Now that's not a typical kind of meal in the Schell household. We usually do American fare of the easy variety...you know, the weeknight casserole's and crockpot meals. Pastas or something grilled. Tacos or enchiladas. Now don't get me wrong...I love trying something new. The husband...Not so much! But am I so very glad that he gave in and let me go off and try something new. Something a little different. Because the end result was so very, very good!

This dish is cheesy, tomato-y, and filled with flavor...definitely a great fresh summertime meal.  I made sure to use vine-ripened tomatoes to get as much flavor as possible. And, since it was a weeknight and I was on a time crunch, I just used a store bought refrigerated pie crust, but if you would rather, just substitute your own homemade one. I served it with a green salad and some crusty french bread. Delish!

I can't wait until my homegrown tomatoes are ripe...I know that this little dish will be making it's way back to our table over the summer as my crop comes in! I hope that you enjoy it!




Tomato Pie with Pancetta & Basil
Inspired by Simply Recipes

Ingredients
  • 1 9-inch pie shell 
  • 3 oz. thinly sliced Pancetta
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approx. 3 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8-10 leaves)
  • 2 cups grated cheese (I used a combination of Monterey Jack & Colby, but it would be great with Sharp Cheddar or Mozzarella also)
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon of Frank's Hot Sauce 
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden.  If you are using a homemade crust, freeze the crust first, then line the crust with aluminum foil and pre-bake it for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
2. Chop the Pancetta and saute in a small fry pan until cooked. Drain oil & set aside.
3. Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using either paper towels or a clean dish towel.
4. Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the cooked Pancetta and the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
5. In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
7. Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, from 25 to 35 minutes.
Serves 6

  Photobucket
This week I am linking up to: Hodgepodge Friday, Friday Favorites, Feature Yourself Friday, Foodie Friday, Whipperberry, La Bella Vita, Made by You Monday, Just Something I Whipped Up, Homemaker Monday, This Week's Cravings, Today's Creative Blog, Take A Look Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Tip Me Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Show & Tell, Trendy Treehouse, What I Whipped Up  

10 comments:

  1. that just looks so awesome! it's like pizza in a pie (: yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this looks good! Thank you for sharing! I'm having a giveaway please stop by if you get a free sec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks yummilicious!!!
    THank you for sharing!
    New follower :)
    Hope you can come see me at http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMM!!! This looks amazing!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday!

    If you haven’t already, make sure to pop back over to enter my giveaway!!! Entries must be by Sunday evening and a winner will be picked Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at pancetta. This is comfort food, just the recipe I need. XX00

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this would be good as a quiche. It has all the makings of one except for the eggs. Looks divine as it is already. Wow!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yum. I think this would be amazing with my garden produce!! gonna put this in my recipe file! thanks for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so amazingly good! At first I thought it was like a lasagna but I love that it is actually a pie. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to stop by and let you know your recipe was featured on today's What's Cooking Wednesday!

    I hope you'll stop by and link up more great recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man oh man! Sounds delish! Can't wait to try this...Visiting from Serenity Now!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments and read every one I get. Thank you for taking the time to write one!

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola