Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
I am so excited that spring is finally upon us. It's been a long winter and I am ready for the sunshine and warmth that the spring brings. And the wonderful produce that comes along with the change of seasons!
One of my favorite things that finally starts showing up in the produce section of the local supermarket is fresh berries! The prices finally lower and I find myself buying whole flats of them. I use them for making fresh homemade jam, jelly, pies...just about anything that I can! So last week when the local market had strawberries at a great price I couldn't help myself from buying bunches of them. And I knew exactly what I was going to use them for (at least the ones that were left over after my husband and son found them in the fridge!)
All winter I have had a recipe rolling around in my head for cupcakes made with fresh berries. (See, I told you I was on a cupcake kick!) I knew that I wanted to use berries in both the cupcake batter and in the frosting and when I finally was able to make the cupcakes I was so very happy with the results. The cupcake itself was so light and fresh tasting, while the frosting turned out tasting like a strawberry milkshake! I hope you enjoy it!
Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Inspired by Paula Deen's Strawberry Cake
1 package French Vanilla cake mix
1 package strawberry jello (3 oz.)
1 cup of fresh strawberry puree (from 1 1/2 cups whole berries)
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
Directions for Cupcakes
1. Preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
2. Combine the cake mix, gelatin, strawberries and juice, milk, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down sides if needed.
3. Spoon about 1/3 cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it 3/4 full.
4. Bake until cupcakes are lightly golden and spring back when pressed gently with a finger, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven, place pans on wire racks to cool.
Ingredients for Frosting
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese at room temperature
4 tablespoons of unsalted
3 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup fresh strawberry puree (about 3/4 cup fresh berries)
Instructions for Frosting
1. Blend cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes.
2. Slowly add in 3 cups powdered sugar and the mashed strawberries. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Increase speed to medium and blend until frosting is fluffy...about 1 minute. You may need to add up to 1/2 cup more sugar, if needed, to get a spreadable consistency.
3. Refrigerate, uncovered, until frosting sets, 20 minutes.
I frosted my cupcakes just using a disposable pastry bag with the tip cut off. (I couldn't find my large round tip!) You can also decorate with sprinkles and strawberry slices, if desired.
I am linking this up to: Idea Sharing Wednesday, Make It Yours Day, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Show & Tell, Creative Share Wednesday, What I Whipped Up Wednesday, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Cupcake Tuesday, Fireflies & Jelly Beans, Transformation Thursdays, Strut Your Stuff, It's a Keeper Thursday, Recipe Swap Thursdays, Sweet Tooth Friday, Whipperberry, Foodie Friday, It's a Hodgepodge Friday, Tidy Mom, Friday Potluck, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday , Feature Yourself Friday